starship-design: Re: Here's an Idea

Hi,
Unfortunately your fluorescent tube idea won't do what you think.  The tube
only converts energy from an external power source (magnetic pulses from the
lamp's power source, or other nearby AC power systems) to light.  Useful if
you need light, but it can't generate more power for thrust (you'd do better
to just use a magnet against the external magnetic fields for thrust).  We had
tinkered with the idea of tapping interstellar magnetic fields for power, but
the fields seem far too weak to use.

Oh, as to using the power of earth's magnetic fields, they (or a star's
magnetic fields) don't reach far enough.  The Starship would blast past them
in less than a second at full speed.  It would be like trying to stop a bullet
with a Kleenex.  Worse, if it did work, the ship would be vaporized.

I'll forward your letter to the group though, and thanks for writing!