Re: RE: starship-design: RE: New Starship Classes

In a message dated 4/24/98 8:58:47 PM, lparker@cacaphony.net wrote:

> [...]

A 1-g small fast craft (short of FTL) has been considered about the ultimate
in deep space craft.  Unfortunately we simply haven't fuel system capable of
doing it.  Fusion fuels (thou far more powerfull then anything else) simply
don't have the raw power per pound of fuel.  Anti-matter is so expensiove and
dangerous, and so weighted down by its storage systems, that it may actually
be worse.  Whgich is what drove me to the Explorers and Fuel/Sail.  Each using
complex tricks to suply them with power, and still only able to get to 40% of
light speed.

>> My assumption for Explorer was that a smaller ship couldn't
>
>> really do a
>
>> detailed study of the starsystms.  Given the extream lengths
>
>> of missions
>
>> (decades) sending a mission, carrying back the data, and then
>
>> using it to plan
>
>> the next mission, would just take to damb long.  If you were
>
>> that patent, you
>
>> arn't interested enough to launch the mission.  Yould just
>
>> wait a few more
>
>> decades for the tech to improve.
>

>> So Explore was designed big enough so one flight could de a
>
>> good job of
>
>> detailed survay of all the planets, moons, a sample of the
>
>> asterods and such,
>
>> and still have the resources to get everyone back.  For that
>
>> even with better
>
>> automation, is probably a 700 personish crew requirement.
>

>Again, I am being somewhat more optimisitic about what can be accomplished
>
>by robotic/AI systems with humans near by to provide backup. As an example,
>
>return to the question of finding alien artifacts, it would be enormously
>
>difficult to program a robot to recognize an alien artifact that we
>
>ourselves have never seen. What we can do however, is program a set of
>
>boundary conditions that would trigger an alarm to bring a human
>
>teleoperator into the loop. Such a system would not work over interstellar
>
>distances of course, but if the operator is in the same planetary system
>
>within a few light minutes, it is capable of expanding our reach enormously.

I'ld agree to a degree, but given the tens of thousands of support personel
for each space flight, and the nessecity to explore not just a planet or two;
but to do a detailed exploration and cataloging of everything in an entire
starsystem that you'ld ever want to look at (since your likely the only craft
that will ever go there in the 21st century).  I felt forced to assume a
bigger ship.

>> The robot probes mihgt not be able to bring back much more
>
>> data then large
>
>> telescope from Here, but they'ld be far more expensive, and slower.
>

>My point exactly, of course we have been over this before...

True.

>> Any farther in the future then 2050 and we couldn't clearly
>
>> guess what kind of
>
>> technology we'ld have to work with.  (Even physics mihgt be
>
>> changing.)  So
>
>> we'ld be reduced to debating science fiction senerios about
>
>> what kind of warp
>
>> drives, or hyperspace tricks might be developed.
>

>> Also, any then 2050 and we'ld clearly not have the space
>
>> infastructure to do a
>
>> mission on this scale.
>

>Thank you, not being one of the founding members, I had never heard the
>
>reasons for the selection of criteria. They make sense.

Thanks, sorry we never thought to mention them.

>> Construction and such of the Explorer and Fuel/Sail craft
>
>> wouldn't be that
>
>> expensive, probably in the tens of billions of dollars,
>
>> certainly not more
>
>> then a couple hundred billion.  The killer is the launcher or
>
>> microwave
>
>> emmiter satelights.  They need to be on such a huge scale
>
>> you'ld need self
>
>> replicating robotic construction systems to go forth and eat
>
>> a fewthousand
>
>> (100 thousand) asteroids and fill the skies with microwave
>
>> systems.  Other
>
>> wise the projects dead, and you wait for the next technology
>
>> wave to simplify
>
>> things.
>

>> You don't need to wait for Type-I or type-II civilization status.

>> Actually the idea of interstellar colonization was a sore
>
>> spot.  Some really
>
>> wanted to go that route, others figured any colony would be
>
>> to small to be
>
>> self suficent, and intersteller distences are to expensive to
>
>> support a
>
>> colony.  Also their didn't seem to be any real need.
>

>> Actually, why anyone would pay for these missions was also a
>
>> sore spot.  Why
>
>> not just explore the solar system and ignore the stars until
>
>> you can do it
>
>> cheaper and faster?  We couldn't really answer that, but for
>
>> the purpose of
>
>> the exersize we assumed their was a reason.
>

>Kelly is glossing over the truth here. After LOTS of discussion, we couldn't
>
>find ANY reason to go period. Unfortunately, our purpose here was to design
>
>a way to get there. Kind of shot ourselves in the foot.

True.  :(

>Actually, I prefer to think of it more like the parable of the man and the
>
>mountain:
>

>We will go because it is there.
>

>> I have serious qualms about that statement.  Your drive
>
>> system doesn't seem to
>
>> have any real performance edge over my fusion concepts
>
>> (fusion produces only
>
>> so much power per pound of fuel) but your expecting orders of
>
>> magnitude better
>
>> performance.
>

>See above. I expect orders of magnitude improvement from any system before
>
>we can go....
>

>> Actually NASA and the Air Force are considering funding
>
>> experiments to build
>
>> crude ones now.  Fusion motors are far easier then fusion reactors.
>

>The engine I described is the one the Air Force is funding.
>

>> Thanks.
>

>> It depends on how expensive the anti-protons are.  ;)
>

>For both our sakes I hope they become very plentiful and cheap...

Personally I'm hoping for nerw physics tricks.  Zero-point energy, direct
mass/energy conversion, etc.

>Lee

Kelly