Re: starship-design: unmanned missions

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:36:18 +0000 A West <andrew@hmm.u-net.com> writes:

>"the capacity of a computer chip will double every year" Gordon Moore
>1965
>
>Since then, every year to 18 months, computer power has doubled.
>If this trend continues, we will unimaginably powerful computers in 50
>years time - maybe like comparing the on-board computers in the space
>shuttle to the PC I am sending this mail with....
>Never underestimate the potential computers have - soon they will reach
>the sort of speeds you might need to write a program that can improvise
>and be creative....

All computers have their limits, even the ones on the shuttle. Besides,
if
there were a system malfunction, you could not guarantee that the system
could fix itself. With manned missions, however, if there were a system
malfunction, the crew could fix it if, it were fixable. The odds of a
computer
controlled ship succeeding in a mission would be better with at least a
repair
crew.

Jon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]