starship-design: Re: debate

KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/6/97 10:51:38 AM, kuo@bit.csc.lsu.edu wrote:

>>It's not just a question of scale.  The emitter system has to roughly
>>keep "flat", and it's inconceivably huge (the emitter for the
>>deceleration leg must fire its beam over interstellar distances).
>>If you can create that interstellar beam emitter system at all,
>>the rest seems like child's play.

>Thats why you need a phased array systems.  That way its not important where
>the individuale elements are.  Just they they know exactly where they are
>relative to one another.

It actually is important where the individual elements are, to a
significant extent, and that their relative speeds stay within
certain bounds (depending on the tunability of the emitters which
are limited by their lenses).

Over the interplanetary distances the diameter of an interstellar
beam emitter suggests, even the problem of localizing positions
relative to each other is a challenge.

>>It might go somewhere if you read my proof and dispute _it_, and not
>>some mixture of your own fantasy and straw man.

>>Honestly, it's better for you to dispute it with a logical argument
>>than for you to simply dismiss it out of hand.

>>Which is what you're doing if you don't even read it carefully.

>I did read it, and responded to it with technical criticisms, and several
>times mentioned parts that I could clearly interpret.  Given the obvious
>contradictions I'm eaither not following what your saying, or your idea seems
>contradictory.

Look.  I've never written anything here with any contradictions,
obvious or otherwise.  You just have an incredible capacity to
misread, misinterpret, and/or unjustifiably assume things.  The
most aggravating thing about trying to discuss anything with you
is your inability to comprehend precisely what's written and
the way you inject straw-men which aren't even hinted at.
--
    _____     Isaac Kuo kuo@bit.csc.lsu.edu http://www.csc.lsu.edu/~kuo