Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: starship-design: Re: Perihelion Maneuver

In a message dated 12/1/97 7:35:19 AM, kuo@bit.csc.lsu.edu wrote:

>KellySt@aol.com wrote:

>>>We do LBI with optical ground telescopes.  So far as I know, VLBI is
>>>impossible with known technology.
>
>>>The V in VLBI stands for "Very".  What that means is that the elements
>>>are so far apart that they aren't rigidly locked wrt to each other
>>>within the tolerance of about 1/4 the working wavelength.
>
>>>The moon's surface provides a very stable nearly rigid "structure"
>>>to lock a bunch of elements wrt to each other, but this isn't necessary
>>>with VLBI.
>
>>A few sats parked on lunar soil is hardly a structure "rigidly
>>locked to each other within the tolerance of about 1/4 the
>>working wavelength."
>
>Yes it is, actually.  It's nearly perfect--and among the best we
>can hope for in the Solar System.

Fixed within a 1/4 wavelength of light?  Thermal warpage due to day night
cycle and tidal effects would prevent that.

>Unlike Earth, it has extremely little seismic activity, and unlike
>most larger bodies in the Solar System, it has no atmosphere.
>
>That makes it a big hunk of rock which doesn't vibrate much.  You
>can stick things on it and be sure they're not moving with respect
>to each other.
>
>>Also we do synthetic appiture imaging over 100's of yards or even
kilometers
>>of fighters and space craft.  So if you prefer we could consider that as an
>>example of VLBI using one insterment over a period of time.

>>>Not on the racetrack.
>
>>Especial on race tracks.
>
>Huh?  What?  You're saying that car speeds are governed by highway
>speed limits on race tracks?

No race car speeds are governed b y race track rules and speed limits on race
tracks.  (My father used to race stock cars for STP.)

>>>Not on the racetrack.
>
>>So?  .. actually it was on a race track.
>
>"The racetrack" refers to racing tracks on which races like Indy and
>Monaco are run.

Different track, but still officially a track.

>>>Admittedly there was a vast improvement in automotive technology
>>>between 100 and 50 years ago.  However, since then improvement
>>>has largely leveled off.
>
>>You really need to read more.  Auto tech has imptoved dramitically in
>>performance, effocency and cleanlyness.  Sports cars now produce more
>>horsepower with engines that were tiny by 1960's standards, while producing
>>about 1/40th the polution, and with better relyability then any car of the
>>60's.
>
>The size of the engines are smaller, but not much lighter.
>
>>>Well, since you seem unconvinced by what I deemed a blatant example,
>>>I'll give another--small arms.  Today's military small arms don't
>>>significantly outperform those from 40 or 50 years ago except in
>>>improved reliability.
>
>>Theres no reason to since the military personel of today can't point
>>significantly more acurately then those of 40-50 years ago.
>
>Actually, there is every reason to increase the performance of small
>arms in terms of reducing ammo size/weight, which has a dramatic
>impact on logistics.  (It also allows carrying more ammunition and
>weight).  Also, if ammunition size/weight can be dramatically reduced,
>it allows firing much larger bursts, which _does_ increase hit
>probability.
>
>However, the physics of aerodynamics and chemistry of explosives has
>prevented us from making any dramatic advances in small arms.
>Logistics concerns _have_ prompted reducing ammo size/weight, but
>at the expense of performance.

In performance I was reffering to accuracy and range.  The size of the bullet
is based on logistics and weight trad offs, and the blast power by the
tolerances of the solder.  Lethality is not maximized in military bullets due
to traty and tactical considerations (which is why cops and home owners use
more leathal bullets).  But none of this related to the starship design!!

>    _____     Isaac Kuo

Kelly Starks