Re: Re: Re: The fuelsail is stupid (was starship-design: Hull Materials)

KellySt@aol.com wrote:

>>>Two assumptions I'm not comfortable with.  One: given the major delta V
>>>requirements for manuvers to intercept fuel ships, assuming they are close
>>>enough together that the mainship could intercept them (were talking about
>>>fractions of light speed and potentially light minutes of lateral drift.

>>So what?  The amount of fuel expense I assume would be enough to handle
>>light _days_ of lateral maneuvering.  Remember that this ship is
>>using an entire 1/3 of its fuel capacity in order to make the 200
>>intercepts.  To a rough degree, this allows 4/400 light years of
>>maneuvering (assuming the design target system is Alpha Centauri,
>>4 light years away).

>>I am assuming what I consider to be absolutely obviously worse than
>>would ever be the case.

>I'm not clear how many fuel packets you expect to launch.  Presumably
>hundreds.

Why assume when I explicitely write exactly how many are proposed?
As I stated in my original e-mail, 200 fuel sails.  As I state above
in the quoted text, 200 intercepts.

Please, if you aren't even reading what I write, do not bother
responding.

I refuse to even read the rest of your e-mail until you start reading
to what you're responding to.

What a waste of time.
--
    _____     Isaac Kuo kuo@bit.csc.lsu.edu http://www.csc.lsu.edu/~kuo