Re: starship-design: Battleship galactica?

In a message dated 97-10-02 14:27:39 EDT, TLG.van.der.Linden@tip.nl (Timothy
van der Linden) writes:

<< IF* we had oxygen regeneration. That 'if' can only be true when we have
 some energy source. Hence the problem is back to: From where do we get the
 energy/power?

 BTW. Are you suggesting the oxygen is used for human breathing? If so, that
 problem is one of our smallest. The energy that we humans use is quite
 little compared to the energy used by the engines that propell the ship.
 Eg. A 90HP car engine at full power uses roughly 500 times more power than a
 human does.

 >>Why use a secondary engine in front? Just do a quick 180 degree rotation
 >>around one of the three axis and then fire your normal backside engine
 >>again.
 >
 >So we can have the ship look like a disc, one part swivels around the ship,
 >propelling the ship the way we wish it to go. Interesting concept. Any
other
 >opinions?

 Not part of the ship turns around. I assumed this ship was small and thus
 could easely turn around as a whole. Note that after having turned around,
 it is flying backwards.

Now, a word about "Battlestar Galactica". many people may joke about this,
but unfortunately it is frighteningly real. If the russians could create a
warship and actually get it into space, that would make them superior to us.
Now, saying that it's common sense to assume that there is other life besides
us, isn't a wise precaution to assume that there is life out there that is
hostile? I dunno about you, but I would much rather go into an unknown system
with guns ready, and lots of armor than to go into a system saying "hi! I
wanna be your friend!" only to discover this race of being shoot, then shoot
again, shoot again, and ask no questions later.

Just my two bits ^_~
Gerty