Re: Re: starship-design: Re: Starship design

In a message dated 10/1/97 11:10:19 AM, stevev@efn.org wrote:

>KellySt@aol.com writes:
> > >Of course, this isn't very helpful for the return trip unless the
> > >travelers can build a boost beam in their target system, but I believe
> > >that among the other advances needed for interstellar travel, we'll have
> > >to advance past the notion that explorers should always return from
> > >their trips.
> >
> > ?! This is an advance?  Throwing away a ship and crew to save fuel costs?
>
>Kelly, human history is full of explorers going on one-way trips,
>even intentionally.  Just because such a project wouldn't be likely to
>get funding from a paranoid hide-bound NASA doesn't mean that it
>couldn't happen under different cultural conditions.

Explorers never go on one way trips.  The whole idea was for them to come
back and report on what they found, and bring back samples.

In many cases I'ld agree that NASA is hide-bound, but in this one its far
more then that.  We as a culture don't like, and won't support throwing away
a ship and crew for no good reason, and saving fuel money isn't anywhere near
a good enough reason.  I.E. if we can get them back, we must.  If we
technically can't get them back, theirs little reason to send them.

Kelly