[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: starship-design: Re: Starship design
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: starship-design: Re: Starship design
- From: Steve VanDevender <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:09:54 -0700
- In-Reply-To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-To: Steve VanDevender <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-starship-design
> >Of course, this isn't very helpful for the return trip unless the
> >travelers can build a boost beam in their target system, but I believe
> >that among the other advances needed for interstellar travel, we'll have
> >to advance past the notion that explorers should always return from
> >their trips.
> ?! This is an advance? Throwing away a ship and crew to save fuel costs?
Kelly, human history is full of explorers going on one-way trips,
even intentionally. Just because such a project wouldn't be likely to
get funding from a paranoid hide-bound NASA doesn't mean that it
couldn't happen under different cultural conditions.