Re: starship-design: Proton mass

Ken Wharton wrote:

> >As you aproach the speed of light, mass increases. Can mass be made to
> >be 10,000 times its rest mass by going at relativistic velocity?
>
> Sure-- if you can get it going fast enough.  But keep in mind that the
> mass increase is relative as well; it will only increase its mass from
> the perspective of someone else.  If you're riding along in a relativistic
> spaceship you never see your own mass increase; just the mass of the rest
> of the universe.
>
> Ken

So, you're saying that if I had a weight attatched to the end of a rod
(just an example) and swung it around at 99.9999+C, it's weight would
increase as percieved by me? If so, thats good.

Note: Actually, The rod and weight would probably be destroyed by trying
to sling them that fast. Unless they were made out of something like
neutronium.

Kyle Mcallister