Re: starship-design: FTL idea - Steve

Hello Steve,

>>OK, I catch your drift. But... knowing that you move this fast with respect
>>to the observed phenomenon, you can reconstruct what really(=in a frame at
>>rest) happens and remove the apparent causality reversal.
>>For those few that happen to see everything at once, they are at a loss,
>>they will never be able to reconstruct what happened.
>
>There's your problem.  There is no "frame at rest".  Relativity has no
>preferred frames.  In the FTL case, there is no unique time ordering of
>events (what if the "frame at rest" is really a "frame in motion"?  You
>can't prefer one over the other!) and hence no way to establish
>causality.  In the STL (slower-than-light) case, a unique time ordering
>of events exists for all possible observers.

Well, the calculations I did where compared to another (rest)frame. What
worries and confuses me is that the event reversal only happens in certain
frames and not in all frames.
But I'll accept this as one of the oddities of relativisics.

What I still do doubt about is whether this means that the particle can
interfere with its own past.

Or to use the infamous example of a FTL traveller, can he kill his mother to
prevent his own birth?

Timothy