starship-design: Resonance

Jim & Lee,

About resonance in a sail:

Resonance may indeed occur, but can be easely removed.
Lee, the wavelength of the beamed photons isn't of any consideration. But I
wasn't suggesting that at all.
The frequency we're talking about was a possible density change in the beam
itself (eg. more power, less power)

Although it is unlikely to occur in a regular fashion (ie. have a regular
frequency). We probably can make the tension in the sail so that it is far
above or below "regular" beam-density-frequencies.

Just irregular density changes likely don't make the sail start to resonate.

And indeed this resonance frequency is likely to be small. Since it is so
small, we may have enough time to react to it. Eg. Use Kelly's minisails.

Timothy