Re: RE: starship-design: Timothy's beamed power paper

In a message dated 7/25/97 12:54:35 PM, zkulpa@zmit1.ippt.gov.pl (Zenon
Kulpa) wrote:

>> From: KellySt@aol.com
>>
>> [...]
>> Note this assumes you can economically replace the plasma mirror mass.  If
>> you lose to much mass, you wouldn't be able to carry enough to sustain the
>> mirror durring the deceleration phase.
>>
>> Oh, note that the mirror plasma will get hot!  Probably enough to explode
>> outward in all directions. This blast presure might be tapable to provide
>> bit of rocket thrust. My gut feel is that woldn't work thou.
>>
>Of course you can use such heated plasma as a rocked exhaust,
>why not?

It being blasted straight forward by the beam.  I'm not sure how the ship
could tap its reaction for thrust.

>>[...]
>> Since the sail can be any size you want. I scaled it to about 400 times
the
>> dry weight of the ship.  That would let it decelerate from about
40%-43%(?)
>> of light speed.  Giving you a quick trip.  For the ride back you mine more
>> lithium-6.  Burn it all accelerating back toward Sol.  They deploy a
>> compartivly tiny drag sail to decelerate you down into Sol (assuming
>> someone  will turn on the beam again).
>>
>And assuming you will be able to find the beam in the vastness of space...

Beam is locked in a straight line for the flight duration.  If you drift off,
you'll know where you left it.

>-- Zenon
>
>PS. Kelly, what happened to your charming spelling?
>    I'm rely worrid about yor helth or somthing...  ;-))   -- Z

Should be worse with me typing these at night in bad light.  (desk lamp
burned out.)  ;)

Kelly