RE: starship-design: Back from the wed

Ken,

>Okay, I'll run with it.  How about using a small supply of antimatter (
>not sure yet how much ) and using this to heat the reaction mass to high
>enough energies to make this efficient.  For that matter, why not use the
>tanker ideas to launch reaction mass to a ship, while it only carries the
>necessary antimatter.

Now for Jim's end run, suppose that we do build a small antimatter rocket
of some sort. Let us make the sail out of vacuum deposited Tungsten which
is also refractory and is still quite strong. It is almost as massive as
Uranium, which might give us a great deal more thrust when we start to
feed it to the antimatter rocket to decelerate.

Lee Parker

                                                          (o o)
I stared into the sky,
As wondering men have always done
Since beauty and the stars were one,
Though none so hard as I.

Ralph Hodgson, 1871 - 1962, Song of Honor