Re: RE: starship-design: Timothy's beamed power paper

> From: KellySt@aol.com
>
> [...]
> Note this assumes you can economically replace the plasma mirror mass.  If
> you lose to much mass, you wouldn't be able to carry enough to sustain the
> mirror durring the deceleration phase.
>
> Oh, note that the mirror plasma will get hot!  Probably enough to explode
> outward in all directions. This blast presure might be tapable to provide a
> bit of rocket thrust. My gut feel is that woldn't work thou.

Of course you can use such heated plasma as a rocked exhaust,
why not?

>[...]
> Since the sail can be any size you want. I scaled it to about 400 times the
> dry weight of the ship.  That would let it decelerate from about 40%-43%(?)
> of light speed.  Giving you a quick trip.  For the ride back you mine more
> lithium-6.  Burn it all accelerating back toward Sol.  They deploy a
> compartivly tiny drag sail to decelerate you down into Sol (assuming
> someone  will turn on the beam again).

And assuming you will be able to find the beam in the vastness of space...

-- Zenon

PS. Kelly, what happened to your charming spelling?
    I'm rely worrid about yor helth or somthing...  ;-))   -- Z