Re: starship-design: Timothy's beamed power paper

> From: jimaclem@juno.com
>
> Oops, sorry bout' that.  Here goes again.
>
>                  payload -->  OO
>     compression  mbr.  ||
> _________________     __________________
> \                                        ||
>            /
>     \                                    ||
>       /
>          \                               ||
>  /
>               \                          ||                          /
>                    \                     ||                     /
> tension mbr. \                ||                /
>                              \           ||           /
>                                   \      ||      /
>                                       \  ||  /
>
> Hope this is better.  The sail pulls a column that passes through the
> sail, with the payload on top, away from the Earth side of the sail.

Sorry, did not work this time either.
Did you compose the art using fixed font?
If your mailer uses a proportional font, the effects
would be just that, on any receiver's screen using
different font than yours (e.g., on mine - the standard fixed font
like Courier or Monospaced used by most mailers).
And note also a strange line I have found in the header of your mail:

Concerning the idea itself, I have doubts:
- the central compression column must quite thick, hence heavy:
  the problem is not so much with compression strength
  as with bending of long (relative to width) objects
  compressed lengthwise (the effect is called "buckling"
  if I am not mistaken).
- the construction will be rather unstable (like Wright brothers
  early planes, with their tail-first design): the central column
  wil tend to veer to the sides.

The parachute design seems much better; the payload can be
shielded from the beam by a small sail supported by correspondingly
small truss structure.

-- Zenon