starship-design: ZPE generators

jimaclem@juno.com writes:
 > Kyle,
 >
 > 	What is a ZPE generator.  I'm just a poor engineer and have never
 > heard of such a thing.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > jimaclem@juno.com

There are some theories being floated around the physics community about
vacuum not being really completely empty, but a sea of sub-particle
energy fluctuations calculated to have a rather surprisingly high energy
density.  This energy is supposedly what virtual particle formation
draws from.  Kyle is subscribing to an even more radical belief that if
this zero-point energy exists, it's possible to extract energy from it
permanently, which I'm rather dubious about (as you might guess from my
methods like antimatter.