Re: starship-design: Why go to the stars?

In a message dated 7/3/97 10:49:15 PM, stk@sunherald.infi.net (kyle) wrote:

>KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>
>> 1 is reasonably irrelavent, certainly in the next few centuries.
>
>Not necessarily...

Think if any senerio where and extra solar colony (especially one dependant
on suplies from home) could aid the survival of humanity over the next few
centuries.

>> The others sum up to "we'ld like to".  Agreed, but that never funded any
>>project this size before, and is unlikely to in 2050.
>
>I wouldn't be so sure. Things can happen if people get interested.

A tens of billions of dollars (low estimate) project?  Those don't happen
unless their is big money to be made quickly, or a critical need.  Nieather
seems applicable here.

>> Besides, wasn't the question why colonize the stars?
>
>I suppose. But you have to go there first.
>
>Kyle Mcallister

But you won't start a colony until you come up with a reason, whgich
obviously can't preceed a first flight.

Kelly