Re: RE: starship-design: Go Starwisps

In a message dated 7/4/97 12:14:25 AM, lparker@cacaphony.net (L. Parker)
wrote:

>Kelly,
>
>>Assuming the drives are related.
>

>[L. Parker]  I wouldn't assume any such thing, probably the opposite...
>

>>Never trust, verify the data and plan for the worst.
>

>>[L. Parker]  That is the point of multiple approaces to verifying the data
>>BEFORE sending people.

But a pre flight robot probe probably can't do this.

>>>They are made e.g. for reasons of survival...
>
>>>Irrelavent in this case since they would be dependant on Sol for survival.
>>> Actually coplonies are never made for survival of the species type
reasons
>>>eaither, and such a colony wouldn't help that significantly.
>
>[L. Parker]  No, they are made for reasons of politics, of prestige and of
>oppression.

No, usually money.  Sometimes escape from some powerfull group.  Never heard
of a successfull colony made for prestige.  How could it be used for
oppression?

>> Sorry, would be colonists are nuked from orbit as part of the decontaminati
on
>> proceedure.  ;)
>
>Kelly
>
>[L. Parker]  Your'e kidding I hope?
>
>Lee

Maybe, maybe not.  Its an arguable policy to limit ecological damage to the
planetfrom the colonists biology.  Eiather way their dead.

Kelly