Re: RE: starship-design: Re: Why go to the stars?

In a message dated 7/2/97 8:14:01 PM, lparker@cacaphony.net (L. Parker)
wrote:

>Timothy and Antonio,
>
>Consider this scenario:
>
>A "sponsor" could be a government, a multi-national corporation or
consortium,
>or it could be a company formed by the colonists, specifically for the
purpose
>of equiping and sending a colony to another system. Something like "The Tau
Ceti
>Development Corporation", or the "Chartered Procyon Expedition". Such groups
would
>most likely be composed of people with common idealogies, interests or
backgrounds.
>After all, what else were the Puritans who sailed to Plymouth if not a
private
>company chartered for the express purpose of establishing a new colony. It
is only
>a matter of scale...
>
>Lee Parker

The pilgrams and puritains are a bad example for you, but the idea of
development corporations for colonies has been very successfull IF THEIR IS A
MARKETABLE COMODITY!  Given the transportation costs and time delays for
interstellar travel.    Its vitually inconceavable for 21st interstellar
commerce.  I.E. their is nothing that the colony could sell that would cover
the costs of this project.

Kelly