starship-design: Re: Why go to the stars?

Zenon Kulpa wrote:

> > From: Antonio C T Rocha <arocha@bsb.nutecnet.com.br>
> > kyle wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I should point out some reasons for why we should go to the
> > > stars:
> > >
> > > 1) Self Preservation
> > > 2) To honor the great explorers of the past
> > > 3) Its our nature to explore
> > > 4) To boldly go where no man has gone before... (Gene Roddenberry was
> > > right about that)
> > > 5) To learn all that is learnable.
> > >
> > > Kyle Mcallister
> >
> >   For the same reasons medieval Russian peasants fled to the woods?
> >   (Maybe this falls under .1.)
> >        -  To get as far away as possible form: the Boyars orders,
> > foremen and henchmen; from the Csars Tax Collectors and press gangs, and
> > from the Zealots bonfires.... (and keep whatever honey I find, whatever
> > furs I trap, enjoy whatever I build, feed on whatever I hunt or raise
> > and sing whatever I feel like, when I feel like it).
> >   Sure its optimistic, but its a reason too.
> >   In other words: to open up frontiers.
> >                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> That's the best, I think!
> Sums up nicely all the particular reasons
> like that listed by Kyle and others.
> Though it is useful to elaborate the special cases too,
> just to explain what this opening of frontiers actually
> and practically means.

Let's not forget "manifest destiny".  After all, The immediate area
(several LY) appears relatively empty, perhaps we are just life's way of
spreading to other planets.  Just as lungfish were life's way of gettign
animals on land..

--
Kevin "Tex" Houston 		http://umn.edu/~hous0042/index.html
Webmaster			http://www.urly-bird.com/index.html