Re: starship-design: Re: On the use of vacuum for interstellar travel

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Timothy van der Linden wrote:

> Timothy replies:
>
> I'll first give a few keywords, then try to translate it.
>
> Gauge particle               : particle that exchange forces (eg. photon,
>                                gluon, graviton)
> Vacuum                       : absence of matter and positive energy.
> Analytically solvable system : theoretical possibility
> Second law of thermodynamics : A machine cannot give forth more energy than
>                                it absorbs.

Um, that's the first law, the second law states that you cannot take a
bunch of low-grade thermal energy, and turn it into a small amount of
high grade thermal energy without wasting some of it to the environment,
and importing some work.  i.e. entropy.

> Timothy

other than that little bone, I agreed with what you wrote..

Kevin "tex" Houston