Re: starship-design: Re: Moon/asteroid/frame

At 12:38 AM 10/31/96, Timothy van der Linden wrote:
>Kelly replied:

>>>Indeed, even an asteroid 1000 times heavier than the ship will be pushed too
>>>much, only if we use real moons recoil isn't a problem.
>>>
>>>All in all I would think a frame with lasers and photocells (or whatever)
>>>would do the best job, another advantage of frames is that there is hardly a
>>>size limit...
>>
>>Given Rex was talking about arrarys hudreds of thousands of miles across, I
>>think a fixed structure is a no-go.
>
>Why can't it be a fixed frame? I don't see a problem about it.
>
>Tim

A fixed frame hudreds of thousands of miles across?  Aside from problems of
structural strength, and lack of stiffness.  What planet would you convert
into the framework?

Kelly Starks                    Phone: (219) 429-7066    Fax: (219) 429-6859
Sr. Systems Engineer                                     Mail Stop: 10-39
Hughes defense Communications
1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808-4106
Email:  kgstar@most.fw.hac.com