Re: starship-design: Stellar drive?

At 4:27 PM 10/21/96, Timothy van der Linden wrote:
>L. Parker wrote:
>
>>Well, I don't suppose it would be fair if I didn't at least offer an idea
>>for a solution. I haven't ever heard of a Faraday cage, and I am not sure
>>if it works or how strong of a field it would have to generate in order to
>>work, but how about if your second field was the shield also? Shaped kind
>>of like this:
>>                             \
>>                      O     |
>>                            /
>>
>>Just a thought...
>
>A Faraday cage is a passive thing, it does not generate a field, it converts
>the EM-radiation into an electrical current.
>It is not a complicated thing, it is merely a wiremesh in the form of a cage
>(round, square) it's shape does not matter much, as long as it is closed.
>The general theory is that as soon as a difference in fieldstrength is
>present between two points of the cage, the electric current will resolve that.
>The size of the mesh is important, the smaller the mesh size, the better it
>protects against high frequencies.
>
>By the way, why do we need alternating magnetic fields, or are constant
>magnetic fields possible too?
>
>Timothy

Since the magnetic drive system described on that web page uses timed mag
pulses from electromagnets.  It would seem to be stuck with alternating
magnetic fields.

Kelly Starks                    Phone: (219) 429-7066    Fax: (219) 429-6859
Sr. Systems Engineer                                     Mail Stop: 10-39
Hughes defense Communications
1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808-4106
Email:  kgstar@most.fw.hac.com