Re: starship-design: Stellar drive?

>Kelly replied:
>>> Now that I have said that, if anyone finds a method of
>>> shielding a magnetic field, it might be usable. Even
>>> better, shielding is but the first step to
>>> FOCUSING which will boost the efficiency and power
>>> output enormously.
>>
>>> L. Parker
>>
>> Its called a Faraday cage.  Basicly a electrically
>> conductive outer liner with no significant gaps
>> for the fields to get through.
>
> Well, a Faraday cage has it's limits, it may decrease
> the fieldstrength but depending on the structure
> (thickness, conductivity, meshsize) of the wall
> it leaves through a certain amount.
>
> Timothy

Ok, be that way.  ;p   Coat the thing with a super conductor.  What gets
through you can convert back to electricity.  A better question is would the
thing work, and would it actually be efficent enough to be usful.  To my
surprize 1 is sounding likely.  On the other hand.  2 sounds like a no go.

Kelly