Re: starship-design: Stellar drive (possible hole)

Kevin replied:

>> So you  could just as well (even better) use a laser to generate "local
>> momentum".
>
>but i thought that the photons  weren't exchanged in a magnetic field
>unless there was something to react with.

If you read my words literally, there is indeed no exchange if there is
nothing to exchange with, however charge particles sent out and receive
(virtual) photons all the time.

Since magnetic fields are the result of relativistic effects (mainly
velocity addition) on moving charges, there are also photons sent out.

About conserving momentum, I believe Steve has already answered your questions.

Timothy