Re: starship-design: Fuel costs

 That
 Thats

>>>This is still "raw" energy, the processing costs needed for normal
>>>electrical energy are now inside the design of the starship. I think your
>>>comparison should include the power plants (and the maintaining of them)
>>>inside the starship.
>>>
>>>Timothy
>>
>>But the power plants arn't in the starship, or to be carried with it.  They
>>will be at the supposed anti-mater production platform (way out in the
>>outer solar system).
>>
>>Kelly

> I meant this for the Explorer design that uses the fusion fuel and thus may
> need a kind of powerplant. I understand that any (non-beamed) starship is
> some powerplant, however some fuels are easier to "ignite" than others (and
> have lighter engines).

> What you should have mentioned in the previous letter is that for fusion
> powered ships one needs only one powerplant (the one in the ship) while for
> anti-matter powered ships one needs two powerplants (one in the ship and
one
> "on the ground").

> What I am not so sure about is the difference in design, fusing fuel may
> need much more heavy equipment than "burning" anti-matter. However maybe it
> is the otherway around, only the future will tell. Therefore making
> comparisons like the above have little or no value.

> Timothy

Well with the explorer class I did make some estimates about the engines
thrust and weight (if we aren't going to try to do that, were not trying to
figure out starships), as to the relative weight of an Antimater drive vrs a
fusion on (and the unidentified weight of the antimater tanks!!) I can't
realy guess, though for the purpose of the post I assumed (for no good
reason) that they might be about the same.

Kelly