Re: starship-design: Re: Double replies with reply-to-all

Kelly Starks writes:
 > At 2:34 PM 7/31/96, Timothy van der Linden wrote:
 > >Why is it than that I get one Email directly from most.fw.hac.com (first)
 > >and the other via darkwing.uoregon.edu (last)?
 > >
 > >I've two solutions either you hit the reply-to-all button, or darkwing is
 > >able to remove any trace of ever having received that message.
 > >
 > >Tim
 >
 > I'ld bet on #1.

All right, here's the deal.

If you reply to a starship-design list message and the headers look like
this:

   To: stevev@efn.org
   Cc: starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu

Then stevev@efn.org will get two copies of the message -- one because
the message was directly addressed to him, and another because
stevev@efn.org is a member of the starship-design list.  (I love talking
about myself in the third person.)

I would encourage people on the list to always check the headers of
replies to list messages.  A moment of editing the headers to just look
like:

   To: starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu

will keep people from getting duplicate list messages.

My earlier comment about sendmail eliminating duplicate recipients
applies to normal sendmail aliases but doesn't apply to Majordomo lists,
because Majordomo lists are handled by piping incoming mail messages
into the majordomo program for redistribution.  sendmail can only
eliminate duplicate recipients within the recipient list of a single
message; when you address a message to a Majordomo list as well as to an
individual it invokes sendmail twice, once to deliver to the addressed
individual and again when Majordomo expands the mailing list recipient.

 > I'm not sure I trust darkwing.

Why not?  I think there is some confusion because the Majordomo list
works differently than the old Cc:-everybody method in some ways, but so
far the Majordomo list works exactly as it should.  I think the real
payoff will be when we get more subscribers or when people need to
change email addresses.  With a real mailing list manager people will
have much more control over how they get their mail.