starship-design: Re: Weekly newsletter

Philip Bakelaar wrote:

> At 03:36 PM 7/25/96 -0500, Kelly Starks x7066 MS 10-39 wrote:
> >Quick check.  ah hum.  DOES ANYONE OUT THERE NOT GET ALT.* ACCESS?  WAKE UP
> >OUT THERE.
> >
> >I think we can assume if we get no responces, eiather everyone gets it, or
> >they don't care one way or the other.
> >
> >If nothing else it might expand our submiter base, and get the overhead off
> >our backs.  On the other hand it would pull interest away from the LIT
> >site.
> >
> >Kelly
>
> Make sure you read my last letter, Kelly. I know.. I use newsgroups alot, and
> what I said would most likely happen. But, is there a way to have a password
> or something on a newsgroup? In my opinion, in view of the facts i stated
> before, that would be the only way.
>
> ben

Ben, a password on the group (or having to send all posts through a moderator
would defeat the purpose.  That purpose being to catch the people who are just
skimming the titles, and say "hey, that sounds interesting."  When they come in,
they should find a FAQ and instrustions on how to join the mailist.  flames and
crossposts can be easily ignored.

--
Kevin "Tex" Houston 	http://umn.edu/~hous0042/index.html

Every time a third party candidate comes up, both major parties say:
"You can't vote for him, you'll just be handing the election to the other guy"
Well, Democrat and Republican are just two different names for the same thief,
So what does it really matter?  This time I'm voting Libertarian.
Harry Browne for President.  http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/   (800) 682-1776