Re: Problems with beaming

To Steve,

> > Yes, but lasers keep a tight beam and thus their diametre (cross-section)
> > does not increase with distance and the energy-density (per surface) stays
> > the same.
> > So I don't see a problem here.
>
>Actually, practical lasers do diverge with distance.  Coherency does not
>mean unidirectionality.

This I knew, but I thought (but was not sure) that the light coming out is
higly directional not alone because of the mirrors, but also because of the
nature of the stimulated emission process.
Could you answer the following question: If I use a normal light source
(glowing wire) and place it in a tube with mirrors like in a laser, would I
get the same kind of intense parallel beam? (not coherent of course)

Timothy