[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: interstellar drive group <firstname.lastname@example.org>, David <David@interworld.com>, Kevin C Houston <email@example.com>, jim <firstname.lastname@example.org>, KellySt <KellySt@aol.com>, kgstar <email@example.com>, lparker <firstname.lastname@example.org>, rddesign <email@example.com>, Steve VanDevender <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "T.L.G.vanderLinden" <T.L.G.vanderLinden@student.utwente.nl>, zkulpa <email@example.com>
- Subject: RE:
- From: Brian Mansur <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 13 Mar 96 19:06:00 PST
- Encoding: 45 TEXT
Ship's Sail Sail Sail Total Accel Maser Refl Excess Stress
Mass Radius Dens Mass Mass Energy Eff. Energy
Kg Km g/m^2 Kg Kg M/s^2 Watts % KW/m^s Pascals
5E5 10 50 1.57E+07 1.6E+07 10 2.43E+16 0.99 773.8 0.515915
5E5 100 50 1.57E+09 1.6E+09 10 2.36E+18 0.99 750.2 0.500159
5E5 500 50 3.93E+10 3.9E+10 10 5.89E+19 0.99 750.0 0.500006
5E5 1000 50 1.57E+11 1.57E+11 10 2.36E+20 0.99 750.0 0.500002
5E5 5000 50 3.93E+12 3.93E+12 10 5.89E+21 0.99 750.0 0.5
5E5 10000 50 1.57E+13 1.57E+13 10 2.36E+22 0.99 750.0 0.5
5E5 100000 50 1.57E+15 1.57E+15 10 2.36E+24 0.99 750.0 0.5
How are these %reflections figured. Is it .99% efficiency, 99%, .0099%?
Also, are these stresses acounting for the stress at cable connection points
>4) smaller sails may be better. Why in the world you would need a sail
>the size of Luna, much less Jupiter, is beyond me.
>5) Thermal load is a big problem. 750 KW on .05 Kg is a big worry.
>I have not calculated the limiting temperature yet, but I am hopeful that
>titanium alloy will stand up to the load. To do this model, I will use
>heat capacity and blackbody radiation equation. I do not have time right
>now, but expect it soon.
Jupiter size was to make sure we could keep our now defunct retro mirror
inside of a distance diverged beam. A Luna sized sail was, I think,
proposed to be certain that the E18W that we were putting into it wouldn't
melt the thing. Also, the models that I was working with hoped for a sail
that weighed closer to 50g/km^2, not 50g/m^2. But if you can keep the
thermal load managable on say a 10km^2 sail, and keep enough power focused
on that sail for 1E4 to 2E4 AU, then I think we have a way to at least
launch ships via masers.
- From: Kevin C Houston <email@example.com>