Engineering Newsletter

This page is _so cool_ that I've stayed up until 3:30 am looking
at it:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cship/cship.html

Although his starship design is simplistic and intended more for
expository purposes than as a completely realistic design, it
does have some interesting features I haven't seen us discuss
before.  In particular he discusses the need for streamlining (!)
for a ship that travels at high relativistic speeds.  In essence
it's a self-powered ship fueled by antimatter.

The coolest part, though, is a couple of MPEGs that show trips
through his imaginary "lattice galaxy" at relativistic speeds.
This is exactly the kind of thing I want to do with my starship
simulation program (still completely embryonic at this point),
but with a database of real stars in the Solar neighborhood.
View the MPEGs, and then we can talk about why it looks like
you're flying backwards at the start of a trip.