Motet is a web-based conference system. This is where you can ask questions and get
answers in between classes. It is also where I will post announcements in between
classes. Motet is NOT part of gladstone or oregon or darkwing; it is a self-contained
piece of software that runs on a separate machine and follows its own rules. Read the
instructions below carefully BEFORE you register to avoid common errors that will
mess up your registration and cause delays and frustration. Everyone is required to
register for MOTET and post a first message. You should also read the Q&A at least two
times during the term. If you don't have any questions or answers to contribute, note
your visit in the "lurker's" topic so we know you were there.
1. Using your Web browser (Netscape or Explorer) go to the class page (see first page
of syllabus for address) and click on GETTING STARTED in the Motet box. Read the
text carefully all the way through.
2. Register, using the SAME NAME you use for e-mail for your "Motet user ID." Fill in
your e-mail address COMPLETELY: mine is firstname.lastname@example.org DO NOT
use a short form: harrow, for example, or harrow@darkwing. If you do, Motet will
not be able to send you a password, and you will NOT be able to log on. Instead you
will have to call Lucy Lynch to get your account straightened out, which can take a
while. PROOFREAD your e-mail address carefully, TWICE! If it's incorrect, Motet will
not be able to send you a password, etc.
3. After you receive an email with your password, change your password (click
CHANGE PASSWORD in Motet box on class page). To get into this screen you will
need to type your Motet ID and the original password you were sent. For the new
password, choose something EASY TO REMEMBER, and WRITE IT DOWN somewhere
so you can look it up if you forget.
4. Now you are ready to go into Motet via the GO TO CONFERENCE link in the Motet
box on the class page. This takes you directly to our class Motet conference. To read
and contribute posts in our conference, click the arrow next to LIST ALL TOPICS. Click
on the ? box to find out more about how to operate inside Motet. Post a message in the
FIRST MESSAGES topic to let us know you made it! You can find the tutorial via the
GETTING STARTED link. If you want to explore other conferences, go from our
conference page to the MAIN PAGE via the link in the upper left.
5. TROUBLE-SHOOTING. Oops! Despite reading the directions, etc. etc., you are still having trouble getting on Motet. The person to contact is Lucy Lynch in the Computing Center. She runs Motet. Her e-mail is email@example.com, and her phone is 346-1774.