Learning Check, Power, Effect Size, Error
1. Power is affected by sample size, effect
size, whether a one- or two-tailed test is
used, and _________.
2. Increasing sample size ________ power.
3. Using the .01 level of significance
instead of .05 decreases the chance of
making a(n) __________. It also
decreases the _______ of a study.
4. If the research hypothesis is true, but the study testing it has a low level of power,
a. a significant result is highly probable.
b. the probability of obtaining a significant result is low.
c. the null hypothesis will almost certainly be rejected.
d. beta is necessarily low.
Answers, LCheck Power/Effect Size/Error
1. alpha, significance level
[standard deviation of population also correct]
3. Type I error; power