Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

Sci wrote:
> Well, I had a few thoughts (while watching Lost In Space, of all things.).
o what is wrong with the computer from lost in space the B205.
Tubes and core memory work well in Cosmic radiation, and you even get
a free radiation meter too if you use the Jupiter model. :)
Also I read that a inch of water protected life in the sea from
cosmic radiation when the earth was young. A shell of water or ice
would have two advantages - protection from radiation - large mass
to stabilize a rotating habit.

> First, the bit most likely to get damaged is going to be the interface.
> Namely screen and keyboard.  Millitary-type risc processors are pretty
> reliable and don't need much in the way of cooling.
> The way I thought, you'd want the actuall processing/storage units to be
> seperate from the UI.

Modular is a good plan. Graphics are still a big problem with
LCD's. 640 x 200 is a high res screen unless you want pay $$$K.
LCD's also don't handle the cold well.

> One thought was a LCD touchscreen & flatpanel-speaker module, that could be
> as standard, and be interchangeable with all terminals.  Graphics and sound
> processors all built into the module, with a flash memory unit that could
> set up the interface to whatever it's being pluged into.  Being plugged into
> the environmental controls?  The control processor uploads the display
> protocols to the flash memory, and it's ready to run.
> Keeping the computer system in standardised but modular units, would make
> both repairs and upgrades a lot easier.

I still like the Star-Trek style displays where scotty could look at
a board and say "the dylithum crystals can't take any more captain".
Remember too larger the environmental system more margin you have for
repair. You want to find the right size where you have hours of margin
not minutes.

> What I am not saying though is that these should be the only units.  the
> computer makes certain jobs faster, but you need a manual backup.  Actuall
> valves you can turn, switches you can flip.  In the worst cases of all, you
> can grip a wrench onto a valve and turn it, or short two wires together,
> something you can't do with a computer.

Lets not forget to kick the thing!

> > > I fully agree with this. People are putting processors into things
> > > like toasters, now, just because they can, and because they think
> > > it'll sell more goods. A space colony could not afford to operate on
> > > this kind of thinking. And, when you think about it, we can't either,
> > > at least not indefinitely.

Also cheaper too in some aspects. A $.50 cpu may be over kill
but saves $.75 from something else.

> Again, things essential to life and safety should be maintained in as
> mechanical a sence as possible.  All things wear out eventually, but keeping
> things within the range of someone with some sheet metal and a soldering
> iron might be a good idea.

Plastics may recycle better than metal. One you are in space you may
be able to fabricate 'new' materials.

> What I can imagine is possibly some large space-faring organisation,
> transporting collonists to another planet/world/station/whatever and helping
> them get setup, in return for produce, minerals, etc.., until their dept is
> paid up, at which point they are declared autonomous.
> Thoughts?
I don't trust large companies.

--
Ben Franchuk - Dawn * 12/24 bit cpu *