Re: starship-design: FTL Navigation

In a message dated 8/23/01 9:34:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

Steve VanDevender wrote:

> Ben Franchuk writes:
> How do the electrons know they're in a wire travelling at 0.75 c?
>
> Particles (including electrons) that have been accelerated to within the
> tiniest fraction of c don't behave any differently at speed than they do
> at rest.  Electronics (and people) on a relativistic spacecraft won't
> behave any differently than they do here on Earth, at whatever speed the
> spacecraft travels.

I have yet to hear of bulk matter being accelerated to high speeds?
The other problem is acceleration. 1 G is 10 meters/second. light speed is
3x10^9? meters/second. That is 3x10^8 seconds to get to light speed.
That is 9 1/2 years.

Correct math please. Using a as 1 g = 9.8 meters /sec^2 and light at 2,998
times 10^8 m/s
c=at
t=c/a
t= (2.998E8 m/sec)/(9.8 m/sec^2) inverting parentesised denominator and
multiplying gives
t=2.998E8 s^2 / 9.8 s  by simultaneously canceling the m in nominator and
denominator
t=2.998E8 sec/9.8    by canceling the s  in nominator and denominator
t=3.059E7 sec
one year in sec = 365.25 days x 24 hours x 60minutes x 60 seconds  or
31557600 seconds
therefore 3.059E7/3.156E7 = .969 years
.969 years times 365.25 days =  353.93 days given some small rounding errors
as the best measurements of 1 g and c give slightly more than 355 days.

This calculation is valid for any mass falling in a free fall in hypothetical
unbounded uniform gravitaional field of 1 g or an actual object accelerating
at one g.

Argueing if c or c + v for acclerating rockets is possible is counter
productive when C + V relativisic calculations and effects are to be derived
and the work to be discussed. It would be most productive if those that do
not belive FTL possible join in a different discussion thread and leave this
thread open to FTL  belivers so effects for navigation and practical c + v
star travel can be calculated.

For instance:
There a formula that I don't have to derive myself to find time dilation for
an accelerating object.

It is
t'=d/v with v determined by a * t keeping in mind the frame of
reference for the a value is wrt to the ship and not a stationary earth
observer for theacceleration rate relative to the earth observer is always
less.IE acceleration observable and measureble measeured from earth always
gives subc final velocities and accleraton measured and observed from the
moving objectcan give real above c velecities.You can use the applet and
equations provided below instead of deriving themyourself by knowing the
applet and formula consider a rockets constantaccceleration for 1/2 distance
then deceleration at a constant g the remaining distance to determine the
ship time and from that you can derive the velocitywrt the ship. Note the
velocity varies with the reference frame.

Quote-----------The Relativistic Rocket
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~obrian/applets/Rocket/Voyage.html
Applet implemented
by Paul O'Brian for the Programming Languages class. This applet lets you
plan how long a trip will take on a rocket that travelsnear the speed of
light. You type the distance of the trip (measured in lightyears) and the
acceleration of the rocket (measured as a multiple of Earth'sgravity). The
rocket will accelerate at that rate for half of the trip, thendecelerate at
the same rate for the second half of the trip. The time for the trip is
measured in two ways: (1) As seen by a person whostays behind on Earth, and
(2) as measured by you on the ship. For yourconvenience, space-sickness pills
are available aft of the observation lounge. The equations for the
computations came from the Desy Web Site. Here is what Iused: Calculate d as
the distance of half the trip in meters. (Note: There are about9.47e15 meters
per light year). Calculate a as the acceleration in meters/secē. (Note: The
conversion is 9.81times the acceleration measured in gravities.) Set c equal
to the speed of light in meters/sec (which is 3.00e8). The total time on
earth, measured in seconds is: 2 * sqrt( (d*d)/(c*c) + 2*d/a ) The total time
for the voyager, measured in seconds is: 2 * (c/a) * asinh(a *0.5 *
time_earth / c) (Note: asinh is the inverse hyperbolic sin function, computed
in Java with theformula Math.log(x+Math.sqrt(x*x+1)). The Relativistic Rocket
Applet / Text by Michael Main, Applet code by PaulO'Brian / obrian at
colorado.edu / Revised April 1999Return to my home page ----------end quote

Sample trip inputting 4.25 light years distance given to nearest star at 1
gacceleration half way then deceleration at 1 g 1/2 way arriving at rest
nearstar.

Trip length: 4.25 light years.Acceleration: 1.0 g.
Time on earth: 5.8780560467144 years.
Time on ship: 3.544401860293398 years.
Bon Voyage!

Average Velocity(V)= distance traveled/time traveled.Relativistic subscript:=
rel.Lorentz velocity: Vrel.=distance traveled/proper time; Vrel.=D/T Einstein
Velocity: Vreal=distance traveled/ship time; Vreal=D/TrelNote: Ship time is
not considered improper time aboard ship.Vrel.=4.25 light years / 5.878
years= .723 CVreal=4.25 light years / 3.544 years=1.20 C Since a universal
law of physics requires it be true that nowhere in the universe is a case
found in violation of the law, the law is held to be, by virtue, a self
evident truth.Therefore in the above case is found a single C + V velocity
and no Universallaw forbidding C + V velocities or math proof of any limit to
C velocity of objects of mass, can exist. I rest my case by summarizing: Any
claim other wise is held to be without virtue and clearly false and those
making the claim areseen from this rest observer viewpoint without virtue,
truth or other redeemingqualities.Skeptics may now state their case beginning
with:Relativity FAQ
http://www.iastate.edu/~physics/sci.physics/faq/FTL.html#7

Tom