Re: starship-design: Massively Distributed Computing for SETI

In a message dated 3/17/01 4:51:26 PM, lparker@cacaphony.net writes:

>> How does this relate to beamed power?
>
>Relative motion in a three body system with relativistic effects....we
>barely have the computing power.
>
>Lee

Given the relative positions of the stars haven't moved visibly in thousands
of years.  We can aim a fixed vector.  The only problem is earth orbit around
the sun.  If beam array isn't a ring around the sun, I.E. if its around a
point in orbit, the ship would have to follow the beam in a helical course
around a direct vector from the sun, toward the target star.

No serious math needed, or really possible.  We can't aim the beam because we
can't know where the ship is to aim it at.