Re: RE: starship-design: Infrastructure in space

> From owner-starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu Wed Apr 26 07:44:05 2000
> From: KellySt@aol.com
>
> In a message dated 4/25/00 10:14:10 AM, zkulpa@zmit1.ippt.gov.pl writes:
>
> >> Even after, we never could figure out a reason to go often or
> >> settle in the stars.
> >>
> >You bet? Think what would happen if astrophysicists find out that
> >the Sun is going to blow in a hundred or so years...
> >
> >Generally, a civilization that is confined to one planet is doomed,
> >sooner or later. That which settles all the planetary system is doomed
> >too, though in a much larger time frame. But such one will be rather
> >used to plan in longer time frames too...
> >
> >-- Zenon
>
> We're around a middle aged star. Its got another 4-5 billion
> years in it. I can't see that being a major driver.

The explosion of the Sun was only an off-the-shelf example -
there are other threats within much smaller time frame.

> Not to mention unless we develop star ships that could carry
> millions of people we couldn't set up viable self
> sufficent colonies on other stars.

First, I think that with appropriate technology they may _start_
from far smaller population. Second, millions, if need be,
can be carried in test tubes...

-- Zenon Kulpa