RE: starship-design: Black holes: a mystery

Kyle,

Ken passed you a good puzzle. Some of the newer theories deal with what gravity actually is rather than describing how it should act. It may be that gravity is somewhat more fundamental than we thought. If space really does have a "fabric" that can be bent then it is possible that the action of gravity (and in certain cases, other forces) could be faster than light.

This is just one area where there are currently MANY theories with experimental evidence to back each of them, but no definitive conclusion yet. Your favorite ZPE is intricately woven into most of the theories. Dig deeper, maybe YOU will be the one to figure it out. (I hope you like math...)

Lee Parker

                                                          (o o)
"Mere poets are sottish as mere drunkards are, who live in a continual mist,
without seeing or judging anything clearly. A man should be learned in
several sciences, and should have a reasonable, philosophical and in some
measure a mathematical head, to be a complete and excellent poet."

-- John Dryden, "Notes and Observations on The Empress of Morocco," 1674