starship-design: Re: Re: Aliens, why haven't they contact us?

In a message dated 7/18/97 7:16:33 AM, jimaclem@juno.com wrote:

>>>Kelly,

>>dangerous. I

>>organism

>>this is

>>'any'

>>that
>
>>the

>>something

>>>As far as I know they are quite good at detecting, only finding the
>
>>>"antidote" before it is too late can be a problem. However
>
>>antibiotics
>
>>>usually can help quite a lot.
>

>>You can't use an antibiotic on alien microbes.  They work by suttle
>
>>disruption of celular chemistry.  I.E. something that will kill them,
>
>>but not
>
>>us.
>

>>>And even if we were not immune to alien bacteria, would we be able to
>
>>spot
>
>>>it? Likely there are more Earthly bacteria that kill people than
>
>>Space
>
>>bacteria.
>

>>No way to know.  Can't even know anything basic about their celular
>
>>construction or chemistry.
>

>Just a thought to consider folks.  All living organisms on this planet,
>
>including viruses have DNA and RNA constructed from the same four
>
>proteins, adenine, cytosine, guanine and tyrosine.  (And I do mean ALL
>
>life forms on this planet, from viruses to trees to us).  The chances
>
>that an alien microbe, or anything else, would use these same proteins
>
>seem rather small, thus rendering them and us relatively harmless to each
>
>other since we cant read each other's cellular codes.
>

>Jim

The problem with that common misundarstanding is that most deseases and
infections don't involve interaction with the organisms genetics.  Only viruse
s do.  Bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc just need compatable pretean
structures (very simple and common in nature) and an environment that isn't
leathal enough to kill them quickly.

Kelly