Re: starship-design: ZPF=inertia=gravity

In a message dated 6/25/97 10:56:40 AM, hous0042@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Kevin
"Tex" Houston) wrote:

>http://www.jse.com/haisch/sciences.html
>
>Hey, I just stumbled across this site, and it shows a promising lead in
>the developement  of "inertialess drives"  (acceleration without the
>resistance).  "Reactionless drives", (inertia without acceleration) and
>gravity.
>
>The basic thrust, is that all inertia/gravity is simply an EM
>interaction between charged particles (at the quark level) and the ZPF
>(Zero Point Field).  If so, this might give us a way to control the
>inertial mass of an object with an EM field.
>
>Impulse engines anyone??
>
>Such control would allow spaceships to make 90 degree turns at 90% light
>speed, and not disappear into a fine cloud of vapor.  It could also give
>you something to "push" against.  The fact that it is connected with the
>ZPF is astounding.
>

>--
>Kevin "Tex" Houston

Interesting artical.  (Thou not the easiest to read.)  The fact it would
integrate quantum and classic phisics in a way nothing else has sounds
promising.  But who knows.

The authors didn't speculate on any ways to manipulate this unified
mass/energy/space effect, but any manipulation could have stagering effects
for star travel.  If you could damp out the inertia of a ship and its fuel,
but restore them as the fuels entering the engines.  You could drive a
starship to high sublight speed with very little thrust.  In theory even with
normal chemical engines.  That would certainly change all our arguments about
startravel.  ;)

Then again.  Proving that these phenomino are related does mean they can be
manipulated in a usable way.

Kelly