starship-design: Fast Ignition

Hello all...

Well, while the final-boundary condition idea did get tossed around more
than I expected, I'll end it with the observation that even if those
sort of objects DID exist, we wouldn't be able to interact with them
(expect gravitationally and perhaps on a quantum level) without causing
all sorts of impossible paradoxes.  They would contain information to
the future of the universe, and if we were to get that information, we
could then use it to make a paradox by forcing that information to be
incorrect.  So, based on this fundamental problem, I'd say that, while
an interesting concept, it's probably not going to get us anywhere.

Just for completeness, I did a little research and found out that people
HAVE tossed around the idea of inverse-antimatter galaxies de-evolving
at the end of the universe.  All speculation, though, seems to assume
that the antimatter is no longer around, and has converted into matter.
The way this would (supposedly) happen would be though baryon decay.
According to all grand unified theories, protons (and neutrons) will
eventually decay, leaving the universe with no stable matter except
electrons and positrons.  This is symmetric, so the recollapsing phase
of the universe would then see electrons un-decaying into anti-protons
and anti-neutrons.  This would relate the proton decay time to the age
of the universe.  Also--and more interestingly--it might mean that all
current experiments to detect proton decay may be off-base; they're
looking for evidence of positrons that the protons decay into, and as I
mentioned earlier, cosmological antimatter couldn't annihilate with
matter because it's constrained to exist at the end of the universe.  So
looking for antimatter annihilations in giant underground detectors may
not be the way to measure proton decay after all...

Not to drop one subject without bringing up a new one, though, I just
got back from the first Fast Ignitor Laser Fusion Workshop.  The Fast
Ignitor is a laser fusion concept that was declassified about three
years ago, and is a plausible method of igniting a fusion reaction
without needing Mega Joules of laser energy.  (On the Mega-Joule scale,
though, the DOE just authorized construction of the 192-beam National
Ignition Facility.  Cost: 1.2 billion.)  The traditional scheme requires
that a fusion-fuel pellet (DT) be uniformly illuminated with laser beams
(or, indirectly, with laser-produced x-rays) until it compresses to the
densities where fusion reactions will happen on a fast enough time
scale.  This time scale is simply the time that the fuel spends at these
high densities due to its own inertia, so this type of fusion is known
as ICF; Inertial Confinement Fusion.  (As distinct from MCF,
magnetically confined fusion, i.e. tokamaks)

The way Fast Ignition would work is this: you would compress the fuel
with the regular lasers to a much lower density.  You need less energy
in the main laser beams to do this, and there are many laser facilities
in the world that are already capable of achieving the required
densities.  Then you'd bring in a separate short-pulse laser; the
ignitor beam.  This beam would be focused on the edge of the (semi-
compressed) fusion pellet, and would be much more intense than the
heater beams.  This does not mean more energy, however; intensity is
simply energy per time, and the ignitor beam would be a very short
pulse.  Heater beams need to be on the order of 10 nanoseconds long; the
fast ignitor will be three orders of magnitude shorter; 10 picoseconds.
Also, the heater beams are not at best focus; the ignitor beam needs to
be as small a focus as possible.  Focused down, the ignitor beam would
need to have an intensity of at least 10e21 Watts per square centimeter.
At these intensities, the ignitor beam will (hopefully) drill its way
into the plasma of the fuel pellet, dump its energy into a beam of
electrons, which would then propagate into the super-dense fuel region
and ignite a fusion reaction in a small part of the pellet.  The fusion
burn would then spread to the rest of the pellet, and voila:  fusion
energy.

So how realistic is this scenario?  The ignitor beam is the hardest
part.  In a few weeks I'll be working on the first-ever experiments at
10e21 W/cm^2 intensities, using the Petawatt laser here at Livermore.
However, it's only going to be 500 Joules in 0.5 picoseconds; the Fast
Ignitor scenario will need the same intensity for at least twenty times
longer; 10 kilo Joules in 10 picoseconds.  And 50 kiloJoules would be a
lot nicer.  Scaling up a laser that's already pushing about five
different limits isn't going to be easy.  There are a lot of other
problems as well, most of the big ones revolving around the electron
beam; you'd need Giga Amps of high-density current to ignite the pellet.
No one's even sure if the required electron beam parameters are
theoretically possible, let alone how to make such a beam with a laser.

But Fast Ignition would definitely be worth it. It would relax the
energy requirements for fusion, and also enhance the fusion gain from
10-30x incident energy in regular ICF to over 1000x with a Fast Ignitor.
Reducing laser energy also has the benefit that the lasers can fire more
often; the National Ignition Facility may achieve ignition (by 2005),
but it will only be able to ignite 2-3 pellets a day!  Not exactly
useful for a spaceship engine.

The other good news is that lots of money is being poured into short-
pulse laser experiments as a result of the fast ignitor concept.  Lots
of universities have short-pulse lasers, and can now directly contribute
to fusion research without coming to the big Government laser
facilities.  So there will be a lot more people working on laser fusion
for the next decade, and who knows, maybe something will actually come
of it.

At the very far stretch of the imagination, research into ultra-high
intensity lasers may discover some completely unexpected physics.  The
electric field of a focused laser goes as the intensity times the
wavelength squared, and every time a new record is set (as will happen
next month on the Petawatt) there's always a remote chance for something
new.  Some of you have mentioned the possibility of extracting energy
from vacuum and other optimistic ideas; if such a thing is possible
maybe it will be huge laser fields that do it.  I'll keep everyone
posted...

Ken