Re: Post singularity society

At 12:19 AM 6/15/96, Timothy van der Linden wrote:
>>>What about the third world?  They think we're pretty freaky now.  What if
>>>we start to radicaly change.  Would they deside we were no longer human?
>>>
>>>Just a few thoughts.
>>>
>>>Kelly
>
>Yes, we touched this earlier, worrying if we could control them, me
>suggesting to create a virtual world to keep them in, so that they could
>never do us any harm, but us allowing to look inside to see how they
>"performed".
>
>One should consider what abilities one would like to have, speaking 20
>languages fluently? Being able to compute the most difficult mathematical
>problems, figuring out the laws of the universe? Or how to love, to life in
>this world among and with others?

Whats wrong with choosing all of the above?  They are not exclusive.

>I assume most of us are looking for a world that offers freedom (in all
>ways), eventually such a world will exist, the only problem then will be:
> What to choose...
>

>Another viewpoint is this:
>Today we are wondering, how should we treat nature, our origin and mother?

Generally welth leads to more interest in keeping your home (and planet)
clean.  Such luxuries are unaffordable by the poor.  Hence the higher
pollution in the third world, versus the developed world.

Huuummm
Of course since I just mentioned my concern that we would start to become
very freaky to the third world.  That may just become an increased source
of friction.  (Then as now.)

Kelly Starks                       Internet: kgstar@most.fw.hac.com
Sr. Systems Engineer
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company