University of Oregon
Recycled Paper Policy
Last Updated: 11/29/2010
Effective Date: 04/08/2003
Responsible University Office And Contact Person
Printing and Mailing Services
Policy Number: 01.00.14
The University of Oregon's recycled paper policy requires the purchase and use of
recycled paper products in accordance with Executive Orders EO-98-07 and EO-00-07. The purchasing of paper made with 100% post-consumer waste (PCW) - which is compatible with all copiers purchased through the State of Oregon contract - is encouraged. Every effort should be made to eliminate excessive or unnecessary paper use including electronic mail or other paperless communication, double-sided copying and printing, and reduced printer margin defaults. Use of heavily dyed and neon papers is discouraged since its production uses hazardous chemicals and its disposal requires special recycling procedures.
At a minimum, the University of Oregon policy requires the following:
* Paper products purchased and used by UO staff must be made from minimum 30% post-consumer waste.
* Paper must be sourced from mills using elemental chlorine free (ECF) processes
* University of Oregon requests for bids or quotes for purchase of paper products,including authorized printing from outside vendors, shall include a solicitation of bids or quotes for recycled paper and papers that have not been bleached with elemental chlorine or other hazardous materials.
* Bid specification shall not exclude the use of recycled paper or tree-free products.
* The default for all university office equipment that use paper such as copiers, printers and fax machines, shall be set to comply with this policy (minimum 30% PCW and ECF process).
Staff may purchase paper containing less than 30% PCW only when such PCW paper (a) can not be found to satisfy printer/copiers not purchased under current state contract, (b) is not available in the desired quantity, (c) is not available within a reasonable period of time, or (d) is not priced competitively. Whenever 100% virgin paper is required due to printer/copier specifications, Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper is required. We anticipate that as university printers and copiers are replaced, printer/copiers that require 100% virgin paper will be phased out.
Unless otherwise specified, University Printing and Mailing Services will provide and use elemental chlorine-free (ECF) recycled paper with 100% post-consumer content. In support of this policy Printing and Mailing Services shall:
* Provide up-to-date information about state contract printer/copier specifications, chlorine use, recycled paper availability, and pricing information on its website to assist staff with paper purchasing decisions.
* Educate the University community about this policy
* Review and recommend updates to this policy periodically to ensure it meets all applicable standards
Reason for Policy:
This policy coordinates university use of recycled paper with statewide executive orders.
Who is Governed by this Policy:
Who Should Know This Policy:
Reviewed and Approved By:
Vice-President for Administration
02/08/2010 Policy number revised from 4.000 to 01.00.14
11/29/2010 Policy revised by Environmental Issues Committee
Copyright © University of Oregon.
E.I.C UO Home Facilities Others Contact Us UO Printshop