PAPER TOPICS 3 (medium paper II): REL 407/507 Bull
in the China Shop
Due Tuesday, Feb 23 in class.
* Three pages: Not more than 1000 words (You may use parenthetical
notation to indicate page numbers for textual references.)
* I encourage you to discuss these topics with one another.
* Be sure to write your name, the name of the class, and the title of
your topic at the top of the page.
* I also strongly encourage you to read the essays on my Writing web
pages, especially "Four Keys to Writing in the Humanities," "Paper
Writing Guidelines," "Checklist for Papers," "Writing: The Bridge
between Consciousness and Unconsciousness," and "Clauses and
* Choose only one of the topics below.
*You MUST include direct quotations and/or page references from
the readings to provide textual evidence in your papers.
- Zhuangzi and Hunting
- 1. Compare and contrast the views of hunting presented by
David Petersen, interviewed by Jeremy Lloyd in "The Good Hunter,"
and Zhuangzi as found in the episode of hunting in Diaoling
(Tiao-ling) Park (CR18). What is Zhuangzi's view of hunting in the
Dao, and how does this compare with Petersen's views?
2. Compose a dialogue in which Petersen and Zhuangzi examine their
respective views hunting. Discuss both points of possible
agreement and disagreement. Although this is an imaginary
dialogue, you MUST use direct quotations and/or page references
from the readings to substantiate your ideas.
3. In the episode of hunting in Diaoling Park (CR18), what is
Zhuangzi's dilemma, and how is this related to his views on
killing non-human animals? In the Dao, all creatures may be
regarded as equal. Yet, in the hunt, the hunter seeks to take the
life of the hunted. What does it mean to hunt in the Dao?
Temple Grandin, Thinking in Pictures
- 4. Examine Temple Grandin's animal ethics in light of one or
two of the authors from Week 2's readings (You can also discuss
Joan Dunayer's article from Week 4 [CR18]). Where do they
agree, and where do they disagree?
5. Compare and contrast Mencius' views on animals as represented
by the episode with King Hsuan (1A7) with Grandin's views. Where
do they agree, where do they disagree?
6. Compare and contrast Zhuangzi's views on animals with Grandin's
views. Where do they agree, where do they disagree?
7. Among David Petersen ("The Good Hunter"), Mencius, and
Zhuangzi, whose views on killing animals and eating meat do Temple
Grandin's views agree with the most? Why not the others?
- Evolution of Ideas
- 8. Relate what you wrote about in your first paper to Temple
Grandin or Shinran's views of oxen/animals. Discuss how
these texts/thinkers have changed or affected the views and/or
experiences expressed since the first paper. What are some points
in these texts/thinkers that you disagree with or that trouble
you? If you choose to write on this topic relating your first
essay to the readings, then please resubmit your first essay along
with your second paper. You MUST use direct quotations and/or page
references from the readings to substantiate your ideas.