Exam Topics B - REL 353 Dark Self
The exam will be the readings and lectures. If you will not be here
on Thursday, March 2 to take the exam, you must make prior
arrangements by Friday, February 24. You must receive prior
permission for absence as well as to take the exam separately. Only
exceptional cases will be allowed.
The exam will be multiple choice, and as covered in the syllabus,
will count 10% of your grade. There is only one right answer per
question. If there appears to be more than one right answer, pick the
If you have any questions about the exam or the topics included in
the exam, please ask. You can come in during office hours, make an
appointment or inquire by email.
Zhuangzi and Daoism
- The Story of how the Zhuangzi was compiled
- Who was Chuang Tzu - lifestyle, family, contradictions in his
- The relation between perspectivalism, illusion, and oneness in
Zhuangzi's view of language, truth, and reality
- The social and philosophical significance of figures like Cook
Ding and Woodworker Qing, Crippled Shu and the Madman of Chu.
Shinran and Pure Land Buddhism
- Tannisho: What is the difference between the first ten
sections and the last eight sections?
- Tannisho: What place does this work have in relation to
Shinran's own writings? (See Mark Unno, "The Nembutsu of
- The central practice in the Shin school of Pure Land Buddhism is
saying the Name, Namu Amida Butsu. What does Namu refer to, and what
does Amida Butsu signify?
- What is the relationship between "foolish being" and "Amida
- Who was Honen (see "Key Terms-Pure Land Buddhism")?
- What does "Coffinman" refer to?
- What does Aoki experience when he prepares his former girlfriends'
father's body for the funeral? How does this change his life?
- What does mizore, a Japanese word for a mixture of snow
and rain, have to do with life and death?
- What does the character of Louis the chiropractor represent?
- What is Audre Lorde's view of the relation between the erotic and
- What four worlds does Jacob traverse, two in this world, and two
in the religious or mythical realms?
- What are the different forms of prejudice described in the novel?
- What kinds of male characters do we find?
- What is Celie's view of the divine? Does it change over time? How?