PHIL 213 Class notes, Week 3, Lecture 2
Buddhism II: Mahayana Buddhism: The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti
100-200 CE: Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti and many other Mahayana
A. Sakyamuni Buddha and the Illness of Vimalakirti
- The Buddha asks the Discples (Nikaya monks) and Bodhisattvas to
- Manjusri, the Bodhisattva of Wisdom, asks Vimalakirti a question.
B. Goddess Chapter
- The Holy Throng enters the living room of Vimalakirti's house.
- The dialogue between the Goddess and Sariputra
- The sticky petals - attachment to religion
- Language and emptiness - attachment to silence
- Sex and gender - attachmen to gender stereotypes