R É S U M É
CHRISTINE LESZCZYNSKI SUNDT
Copyright and Art Issues:
I. ACADEMIC DEGREES
- M.A. (Art History), 1972, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Thesis title: "Orcagna's Strozzi Altarpiece: An Iconographic Study"
(A study of art and patronage in fourteenth-century Florence)
- B.A./Honors (Art History), 1969, University of Illinois-Chicago
II. ACADEMIC POSITIONS
- 2007-present: Editor, Visual Resources: An International Journal of Documentation
- 2006-present: Freelance Visual Resources Consultant and Educator
- 1998-2001: Book Series Co-Editor, Documenting the Image [G+B
- 1985-2007: Technology Editor, Visual
Resources: An International Journal of Documentation [Routledge]
- 1985-2005: Visual Resources Curator (academic rank: Professor), Architecture
and Allied Arts Library, Visual
Resources Collection, University of Oregon, Eugene
- 1973-83: Curator of Slides and Photographs, Department of Art History,
University of Wisconsin-Madison
III. PUBLISHING & PUBLICATIONS
- "Visual Resources for the Arts," Chapter 10 in The Eye, the Hand, the Mind: 100 Years of the College Art Association, edited by Susan Ball (Rutgers University Press, 2010)
- The Image User and the Search for Images. Chapter 4 in Introduction
to Art Image Access: Issues, Tools, Standards, and Strategies,
edited by Murtha Baca, The J. Paul Getty Trust, Getty Research Institute,
- Visual Resources. Chapter 9 in Information Sources in
Art, Art History and Design, edited by Simon Ford, Munich,
- "Testing the Limits: The CONFU Digital Image and Multimedia Guidelines
and the Consequences for Libraries and Educators," JASIS [Journal
of the American Society for Information Science], Vol. 50,
No. 14 (1999) [Electronic
- "The Quest for Access to Images: History and Development," Advances
in Librarianship, Vol. 22 (1998).
- "A Visual Resources Advocacy Statement," in Special
Issue: Copyright and Fair Use: The Great Image Debate, Visual
Resources: An International Journal of Documentation (herein
Visual Resources), Vol. XII, No. 3-4, 297-306.
- Special Issue: Issues in Electronic Imaging [editor],
Visual Resources, Vol. X, No. 1.
- "Electronic publishing in visual resources -- On the brink or
in the future?" Visual Resources, Vol. IX, No. 4, pp. 389-400.
- Special Issue: Electronic Visual Imaging in the Museum [co-editor
with Alan B. Newman and Deirdre C. Stam], Visual Resources,
Vol. VII, No. 4.
- "Professionalism and Professional Status: Personal Reflections,"
Visual Resources, Vol. VI, No. 4, pp. 321-326.
- Conservation Practices for Slide and Photograph Collections,
VRA Special Bulletin for Photographic Documentation of the Visual
Arts Series, No. 3, 1989, Visual Resources Association, 1989 [78
pp. ill.]. (Reviewed in Art Documentation, Vol. 9, No.
2, Summer 1990, p. 109; featured in Gaylord Bros. Archival Preservation
& Conservation Supplies and Equipment catalog and University
Products, Inc. Archival Quality Materials for Conservation Restoration,
- "Slide Preservation," with Nancy Carlson Schrock. Chapter 5 in
Conservation in the Library, edited by Susan Swartzburg,
published by Greenwood Press, 1983.
- "Standard for Staffing Fine Arts Slide Collections," with members
of the ARLIS/NA-CAA/VR Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Standards,
in Standards for Art Libraries and Fine Arts Slide Collections,
Art Libraries Society of North America, Occasional Papers No. 2,
- Guide to the Classification and Organization of the Art History
Slide Collection, Department of Art History, University of Wisconsin-Madison,
1982 (in-house) .
- "Mounting Slide Film Between Glass -- For Preservation or Destruction?,"
Visual Resources, Vol. 2, Nos. 1-3 (Fall 1981-Spring 1982),
pp. 37-62 .
Various short pieces beginning in 1978 for the Visual Resources Association
(VRA) Bulletin (formerly known as the International Bulletin for
Photographic Documentation of the Visual Arts and the Mid-America
College Art Association Slides and Photographs Newsletter)
IV. PAPERS, PRESENTATIONS, AND DEMONSTRATIONS
- The State of Art History: “Focus, Please!? Art History in
the Age of Digital Reproduction” keynote address presented
at Grinnell College, State
of the Art - Art History: Challenges and Choices in the Digital
Classroom, Grinnell, IA, September 30-October 1, 2005
- Contributor and invited participant in the U.S. Copyright Office
study and roundtable, at the University of California, Berkeley,
August 2, 2005.
Projects Past and Present - Survivors or Fossils?" presented
at CHArt [Computers in the History of Art] annual conference, Birkbeck
College, London, November 2004.
Ball Exercises: On Images & Imaging" presented at Beyond the
Slide Library symposium, Fashion Institute of Technology, New York,
NY, October 2004.
- An Expert's Remarks in Response to: "Making Explicit the
Issues of Concern to New Professionals in the Field of Visual Resources,"
in the Meeting of the Minds session, Visual Resources Association
annual conference, Portland, OR, March 2004.
Use of Images in the Classroom: How Far is Fair?", presented
in the session, Fair Use; Who Has the Rights?, College Art Association
annual conference, Seattle, WA, February 2004.
- "Are you Legal? Copyright and Digital Resources," presented
at the Northwest Interlibrary Loan and Resource Sharing Conference,
Reed College, Portland, OR, September 2003.
and Control of Museum Images in Education: Straddling the Not-So-Bright
Line Between Necessity and Infringement," presented in
the session, Protecting Museum Images in the Digital Age, American
Association of Museums annual conference, Portland, OR, May 2003.
- "Fair Use or Fault? Digital Assets and Copyright," presented
at the Digital Assets Management Workshop, Web Integration and Sustainability
Project, Reed College, Portland, OR, March 2003.
Denied...Questions Desperately Seeking Answers," presented
in the session, Digital Publishing: A Practical Guide to the Problem
of Intellectual Property Rights in the Electronic Environment for
Artists, Museums, Authors, Publishers, Readers and Users, College
Art Association annual conference, New York, NY, February 2003.
- Winning their Confidence: Working with University Legal
Counsel in Matters of Copyright, presentation in the session,
Copyright Compliance in VR Collections: Strategies and Practical
Applications, Visual Resources Association annual conference, Chicago,
IL, March 2001. [published in the VRA Bulletin 28:2, pp. 44-47].
- "Of Magic Wands and Crystal Balls: Pondering the Options in Educational
Imaging," presentation in the session, A Mandate for Quality: Teaching
with Visual Images of Various Media, Visual Resources Association
annual conference, Chicago, IL, March 2001.
- Picture This
, presented in the session, Apple
Pies and Orange Crates: Libraries and the Educational Imperative,
ARLIS/NA annual conference, Vancouver, BC , March 1999.
- Copyright and Art Images VRA-Pacific Rim meeting,
Portland, OR, October 1999.
Image Information, and the Image Directory," presentation in
the program, Moving Images: University Libraries and Museums
in the Digital Marketplace, Yale Center for British Art, Yale University,
November 21, 1997 (by invitation).
CONFU Digital Image and Multimedia Guidelines: The Consequences
for Libraries and Educators," presentation in the session, Fair
Use, Education, and Libraries, Fair Use for Teaching and Learning
(ACLS-CAA-NINCH Fair Use Town Meeting), Indianapolis, IN, April
- "Building the Bridge: Art
History, Meet Technology!," presentation in the session, The
Magic Classroom II, College Art Association annual conference, New
York, NY, February 1997.
- "Making Money, Making Art in the New Media: Law, Business Policy,
and Ethics in a Digital Environment II," session organizer and moderator,
College Art Association annual conference, Boston, MA, February
- "Legal Implications of the National Information Infrastructure
for the Art Historian, Artist, University Press, and Library," co-moderator
with Barbara Hoffman, [former] legal counsel to the College
Art Association, College Art Association annual conference, San
Antonio, TX 1995.
- "Recent Acquisitions of Note: Slides of Manuscripts and Rare Books
in the UO Library Special Collections," presented at the annual
retreat of the University of Oregon Medieval Studies Program, November
1993, St. Benedict Lodge, McKenzie Bridge, OR
- Electronic Imaging presentation for the Oregon Library Association
conference, April 1993, Eugene, OR.
- "Disaster Preparedness and Planning for a Collection Move," session
respondent, Visual Resources Association annual conference, February
1993, Seattle, WA.
- "New Technology Roundup," session organized for the Visual Resources
annual conference, February 1993, Seattle, WA.
- "Electronic Publishing in Visual Resources -- On the Brink or
in the Future?" presented July 1993, at the International Congress
of the History of Art (CIHA) [by invitation], in Berlin,
Germany. (This paper was subsequently selected for publication to
highlight the proceedings of this program.).
- "Guidance from the Trenches: Tips and Tricks for Getting Your
(Visual Resources) Ideas into Print," presented in February 1992,
at the ARLIS/NA-VRA Joint Session, Art Libraries Society of North
America Conference, Chicago, IL.
- "New Technology Roundup," session organized with Gary Seloff (NASA,
Houston), February 1992, Visual Resources annual conference, Chicago,
- "Copyright and New Technologies," panel co-moderator, February
1990, College Art Association of America Annual Meeting, New York,
- "Professionalism in the Field of Visual Resources -- A Personal
Perspective," presented (by invitation) in February 1989, at the
Visual Resources Association Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- "The Architecture & Allied Arts Slide and Photograph Collection
Microcomputer Database System," a demonstration, presented February
1987, at the Art Libraries Society of North America Conference,
- "Collections of Quality: The Art of Selection and Rejection,"
presented in February 1987, at the Visual Resources Association
Conference, Boston, MA.
- Designing Standards for Staffing Fine Arts Slide Collections,"
presented February 1986, at the Art Libraries Society of North America
Conference, New York, NY.
- "Organizing and Managing a Slide Collection," presented May 1985,
at the College of Instructors of Art History (CIAH) annual meeting,
Portland State University.
- "Fungus in Glass-Mounted Slides: Recent Findings," presented October
1982, at the Mid-America College Art Association Conference, Visual
Resources Program, Iowa City, IA.
- "Mounting Color Slide Film Between Glass -- For Preservation or
Destruction?," presented March 1981, at the University of Texas
at Austin, Division of Continuing Education Seminar, Advanced Studies
in Visual Resources: Production and Preservation of Color Slides
and Transparencies (reviewed in Popular Photography, Vol.
89, No. 1 [Jan. 1982], p. 85).
- "The Glass-Mounted Slide: Causes and Effects of Heat Damage,"
presented October 1980, at the Mid-America College Art Association
Conference, Visual Resources Program, Houston, TX.
V. TEACHING, INSTRUCTION & WORKSHOPS
Rutgers University, School of Library and Information
Science Continuing Education Program (1993-)
- Preserving Slides workshop, March 1993
Seton Hall University
- Of Magic Wands and Crystal Balls: Pondering the Options of Educational
Imaging and Issues in Imaging (public lectures), Fall 2000)
University of California, Los Angeles & The Getty
- Summer Institute for Knowledge Sharing, Summer 1999
University of Oregon (1992-2005)
- Copyright and Art Issues Workshops, as requested, since 1997
- Copystand Photography Workshop, October 1993; October 1995; January
1997; January 1998
- Visual Resources Management (AAA 410/510), a three-credit university
course, Spring 1992; Spring 1996 (Art History 410/510)
- Visual Resources Collections Fundaments, June 26-30, 1995 (workshop
sponsored by the Arts & Administration Program, offered for credit)
University of Texas at Austin, School of Library and
Information Science Continuing Education (1984-1997 )
- Micro-Computer Applications in Visual Resources Collections, 1986-1990
- Visual Resources Collection Fundamentals (formerly Basic Training
for Art/Architecture Slide Curators), annually 1984-1997
- Visual Resources Cataloging and Classification, 1992
University of Missouri-Kansas City (1983)
- Basic Training for Slide Curators
University of Wisconsin-Madison (1973-1983)
- Guest Lecturer for various courses in the Library School curriculum
VI. PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS, OFFICES, APPOINTMENTS &
Association of Museums (AAM) (since1996)
Library Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) (since1975)
||- ARLIS-VRD/VRA Joint Task Force on Professional Issues,
- Visual Resources Program Coordinator, October 1981
||- ARLIS/NA-CAA/VR Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Standards Chairperson,
1980-1982; Member, 1977-1980
of the History of Art (since 2002)
- Advisory Board, 2002-2005; 2006-2009
Art Association of America (CAA) (since 1970)
||- Board of Directors, 2003-2007
- Secretary of the Board, 2005 and 2006
||- Intellectual Property Rights committee, 2010-2014
||- Centennial Committee, 2007-2010
||- Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Rights committee, 1995-1998
||- Visual Resources Program Coordinator, October 1981
||- ARLIS/NA-CAA/VR Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Standards - Chairperson,
1980-1982; Member, 1977-1980
|Mid-American College Art Association
(MA-CAA), Visual Resources Committee (1973-1983)
||- Visual Resources Committee Chair/Chair-elect, 1981-1982
Computer Network (MCN) (since 1990)
(National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage)
||- Board of Directors, 1999-2002
University Press - Grove Dictionary of Art
(Grove Art Online) (since 2005)
||- Advisory Board
|Professional Women's Network of Oregon (PWNO) (since 2003)
|Southern Willamette Archivists &
Curators (SWAC) (1998-2006)
Resources Association (VRA) (Founding Member, since 1982)
||- Provisional President, 1982-1983
||- President, 1983-1987
||- Past-President, 1988-1990
||- Education & Professional Development Committee, 1999-2003
||- Intellectual Property Rights Committee, 1995-
||- Executive Committee, 1982-1995
||- Chair, Development Committee, 1988-1991
||- Publications Committee, 1988-1991
|VRA-Pacific Rim Regional Chapter
VII. PROFESSIONAL CONSULTATION
- 2006 Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA
- 2001 Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- 2000 Portland State University, Portland, OR
- 1999 The Ohio State University, History of Art, Columbus, OH
- 1998 & 2000 Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ
- 1998 Columbia University, New York, NY
- 1998 Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA
- 1995 Portland Community College, Portland, OR
- 1994-1995 National Science Foundation, Polar Region Archive, Bethesda,
- 1990 Interactive Home Systems (now Corbis, Inc.), Redmond, WA
- 1990 The Ohio State University, School of Architecture, Columbus,
- 1987 Oregon School of Arts and Crafts, Portland, OR
- 1987 University of Pittsburgh, Art/Art History Department
- 1986 Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
- 1985 Reed College, Portland, OR
- 1983-1984 Phillips Petroleum Company, Corporate Photographic Resources,
VIII. AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2002 Visual Resources Association Nancy DeLaurier Writing Award for
Copyright & Art Issues
- 2001 Richard and Mary Corrigan Solari Library Faculty Fellowship Award
- 1988 Visual Resources Association Distinguished Service Award
- 1993 University of Oregon Museum of Natural History Volunteer Recognition
IX. OTHER PURSUITS AND ACTIVITIES
- Jewelry Artist: Christine L. Sundt - Fine Jewelry Design (clsjewelry.com) - 1996 to present
- Represented by:
- White Lotus Gallery, Eugene, Oregon
- The Island Gallery, Bainbridge Island, Washington
- Ginko Gallery & Studio, Oberlin, Ohio
Last revision: October 23, 2010
Created by Christine L. Sundt